Logistics activity cuts across almost all Industries be it Manufacturing, Commodities or Services and there is always a requirement of trained personnel for the various supply chain requirements. The Logistics Sector has not had the benefit of any structured training at the entry level for the workforce below Supervisory level. Being a derived demand there is always pressure on Logistic Service Providers to keep the cost of providing service low, to stay competitive. Trained manpower at low cost is the mantra of the day. Apprenticeship in Logistics Sector through National Apprenticeship Promotion Scheme (NAPS) addresses this requirement.
Logistics Sector Skill Council (LSC) – Joint Apprenticeship Advisor for Logistics Sector
The Logistics Sector Skill Council (LSC) is an Industry Apex Body functioning under the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE) and National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC). Giving a thrust to sectoral implementation of Apprenticeship, MSDE Govt of India (GOI) has nominated CEO LSC as Joint Apprenticeship Adviser for the Logistics Sector.
Realizing the potential of Apprenticeship in Logistics Sector LSC has taken various initiatives to implement Apprenticeship Training, namely:-
- developed 25 Optional Trades covering 09 sub sectors of logistics and uploaded in the Portal www.apprenticeship.gov.in.
- developed the Instructional material and Course-ware for the Logistics Optional Trades to ensure quality training.
- organized workshops with Industries in 2 places i.e. Delhi and Bangalore and planned for 7 more such meetings across the country. Around 17 major Industries with the capacity to engage 1200 apprentices have registered in the Apprenticeship Portal.
- developed an Apprenticeship Portal in the website http://www.lsc-india.com for facilitating Registration of Employer, Basic Training Provider (BTP), and the Candidate.
Procedure for Engagement of Apprentices: The entire procedure for engagement is done on the Portal and the details are at attachment to this mail.
List of Apprenticeship Trades.: The list of Apprenticeship Trades available are given in the Brochure at attachment.to this mail.
LSC Contact Persons for Clarification. The details of the following Key Contact persons are provided in case there are any doubts needing clarification.
|Dr TCS Saravanabava
|Overall NAPS procedures and process
|Mr Ramesh Venkat
||Head Special Projects
|Benefits of Paid Trainings in Apprenticeship
|Mr B Dhanasekar
||Head Quality and Standards
|Optional Trades for Apprenticeship in Logistics
|Mr Ravikanth Yamarthy
||Head Training and Assessment
|Basic Training Partners
|For Registration as a Candidate/ Basic Training Provider/ Employer
Possible Skill Training Options for the Industry
Through Apprenticeship,Industry has multiple options for inducting skilled candidates at entry level. They are as follows:-
- Candidates who have undergone a 300 hour PMKVY Training can be inducted as Apprentices. During Apprenticeship 25% of the stipend paid subject to a maximum of Rs 1500/ Candidate/ Month will be reimbursed to the Employer.
- Fresh Candidates can undergo a 500hour Basic Training and then undergo the Apprenticeship. Basic Training Provider will be paid Rs 7500/ Candidate. 25 % Reimbursement of stipend will be done by the Govt.
- To ensure quality training and avail the Income Tax rebate under 35 CCD of IT Rules Companies can book expenditure for skilling in logistics which will be eligible for 1.5 times exemption under the IT Rules.
- Logistics CSR spend while being exempt under current IT rules can be leveraged to ensure skilled manpower for the Company
Conclusion: - The Govt of India has taken many positive steps to initiate the NAPS Scheme and LSC has taken the lead in developing the Optional Trades in Logistics. As would be appreciated the scheme is a win-win for all stakeholders and we look forward to the Industry to leverage this scheme to ensure that 25% of the manpower below Supervisory cadre are LSC certified through the Apprenticeship Scheme NAPS.
It is requested that all Companies avail the scheme to register themselves in the Apprenticeship Portal of the Logistics Sector Skill Council i.e. http://www.lsc-india.com